Legal Document Assistant Registration Information
Legal Document Assistant registration is required for those who, for compensation, assist the public to present legal documents to any self-help members of the public who are representing themselves in a legal matter. Registration for Legal Document Assistant is required in every county where the service is supplied. The Legal Document Assistant registration for an individual must be completed and submitted to the Kern County Clerk’s office:
Kern County Administrative Building
1115 Truxtun Avenue, 1st Floor
Bakersfield, CA 93301
The applicant must appear in person and must meet the following requirements:
- Complete and signed application
- A valid photo identification issued by the government (established by a birth certificate, a driver’s license or passport).
- Two-year Legal Document Assistant bond in the amount of $25,000 or in lieu of a bond, you may deposit $25,000 in cash with the County Clerk. The bond cannot combine both a Legal Document Assistant and an Unlawful Detainer Assistant. An original bond is required for the primary county in which you are applying for registration. A certified copy of the original bond must be submitted in each additional county in which you apply for registration. The bond must cover the two-year registration period. We require the bond to explicitly state the effective and expiration dates. If necessary, the registration period will be shortened to coincide with the date the bond expires.
- Title of bond must state: Legal Document Assistant Bond
- The bond should have a bond number
- Registrant's name on bond must be the same as on the application
- The primary county must be indicated on the bond
- The bond must indicate an effective date and expiration date
- The Attorney-In-Fact must be registered with the Kern County Clerk or a currently dated copy of the power-of-attorney must be attached to the bond authorizing the Attorney-In-Fact to issue the bond
- The Attorney-In-Fact signature must be acknowledged before a notary public
- Supporting educational documentation as required
- Filing fee of $182 (cash, credit card, money order, or check) payable to the Kern County Clerk
- Separate check or money order, made payable to the Kern County Recorder for your bond recording fee of $13 for the first page, $3 each additional page
You may apply for registration as a Legal Document Assistant between 8:30 am - 3:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Additional, lost or stolen replacement cards are $10 each.
Please click on the link below for the appropriate LDA packet.
If you have any further questions, please contact the County Clerk's Office at (661) 868-3743.