Process Server Registration Information
To register as a Process Server, you must apply in person at the Kern County Clerk's Office located at:
Kern County Administrative Building
1115 Truxtun Avenue, First Floor
Bakersfield, CA 93301
The registration application can be downloaded, completed, and submitted in person and you must present the following requirements:
- Completed and signed application
- Completed Live Scan, signed by a printing agency (required for initial or expired registration)
- A $2,000 bond in favor of Kern County or in lieu of a bond, you may deposit $2,000 in cash with the County Clerk. An original bond is required for the primary county in which you are applying for registration. A certified copy of the original bond must be submitted in each additional county in which you apply for registration. The bond must cover the two-year registration period. We require the bond to explicitly state the effective and expiration dates. If necessary, the registration period will be shortened to coincide with the date the bond expires.
- Title of bond must state: Process Server Bond
- The bond should have a bond number
- Registrant's name on bond must be the same as on the application
- The primary county must be indicated on the bond
- The bond must indicate an effective date and expiration date
- The Attorney-in-Fact must be registered with the Kern County Clerk or a currently dated copy of the power-of-attorney must be attached to the bond authorizing the Attorney-in-Fact to issue the bond
- The Attorney-in-Fact signature must be acknowledged before a notary public
- Valid government issued photo identification (such as a Driver's License)
- Filing fee of $117 (cash, check, money order, or credit card) payable to the Kern County Clerk
- Separate check or money order, made payable to Kern County Recorder for you bond recording fee of $13 for the first page, $3 for each additional page
You may apply for registration as a Process Server between 8:30 am - 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Additional, lost, or stolen replacement cards are $10 each.
Please note - your picture will be taken in our office to print on your Process Server ID card. Do not bring your own pictures.
Live Scan Forms
A fingerprint clearance is required for all Process Servers on initial application or if your registration has expired. A Live Scan form is given
with the registration packet obtained from the County Clerk or download form. Please complete your personal information and take the
form to a Live Scan processing facility of your choice. For a list of Live Scan Locations, please click on the following California Department of Justice website:
Please click on the link below for the Process Server application.
Process Service Application (PDF)
Live Scan Form (PDF)
County Live Scan Locations (PDF)
If you have any questions, please contact the County Clerk's Office at (661) 868-3743.